As a portrait photographer for Lovely Fitzgerald Photography, and a mom, there are a lot of things I want. So naturally, I feel the need to share these things with you, because I am sure they are things you will want to! I also feel the need to keep the love going, so it’s a nice way to get some of my favorite and preferred vendors names out there!
If you didn’t know, I am currently six months pregnant, so have pregnancy on the brain recently. Last week I talked about some of my favorite vendors for newborn and maternity wraps. This week I will be talking about some of my preferred vendors for maternity outfits. I get asked all the time by clients what they should wear. With temperatures soaring right now, it can be difficult to think about how to dress for your maternity session, so I thought I would share with you some summer and fall maternity pieces that would be perfect for pregnancy portraits.
What To Wear:
When it comes to maternity portraits, really anything you feel confident in works. However, there are some guidelines to follow to make the best of your maternity session.
- Your outfit should be comfortable
- Try to pick a fabric that has a bit of stretch to it instead of being skin tight
- Soft draping and flowing fabrics work really well
- Avoid wearing anything too tight or anything that will leave a mark on your skin
- Avoid full panel pregnancy pants, as they will leave a line across your belly
- Fold over skirts and dresses work well
- Keep the focus on the belly!
- If you are uncomfortable with your arms, wear a 3/4 or long sleeve shirt or bring a scarf to cover them up when exposing your belly
- Bring at least one outfit change
- Bring a strapless bra so you can expose belly and put a wrap around chest for privacy
- Wear clothes that are classic. You don’t want to cringe at your maternity photos ten years from now because of the trendy outfit you were wearing.
- Have your partner or children coordinate with you instead of matching you exactly.
- Drink lots of water and avoid salty foods before your shoot so you are not bloated
- Lather your skin up in lotion before the shoot so it is soft and smooth (unscented lotion if you will be outside so you don’t get attacked by insects)
In addition to clothing, a wrap or fabric can help offer privacy to a mother, while showcasing her beautiful belly at the same time. Here are some ways a wrap can be used in a maternity session:
- Wrap around chest or strapless bra to create privacy, yet exposing stomach
- Wrap around waist as a skirt
- Drape over stomach (this is great if you want to hide stretch marks)
Here are some of my favorite places to purchase maternity clothing:
Maternity Lingerie perfect for those intimate and boudoir maternity shots:
If you are a photographer it’s great to offer your clients a variety of different maternity gowns to choose from. Some of my favorite vendors for maternity gowns include:
Pictured above is a maternity gown from Roses & Ruffles.
I hope you all checked these vendors out and found a few new favorites to use for your future maternity photoshoots!